Sometimes it’s nice to surprise your loved-one with something delicious that immediately shows how much you love them! So what could be better than this heart-shaped raw chocolate cake?
This cake is actually incredibly easy to make; the chocolate layer consists of just two base ingredients, cashew nuts and dates, plus some cocoa powder and some nut milk to make it all blend a little easier.
For both the base and topping I used peanuts so that these would match each other’s taste better, but you can use other nuts and even substitute the coconut flakes with berries or fruit. I made more hearts out of the peanuts as can be seen in the picture below:
<3 The way to a man (or woman’s) heart is actually still through his or her stomach <3
Raw chocolate heart cake
- 200 grams mixed nuts and dried fruits I used peanuts, pumpkin seeds, raisins and almonds
- 300 grams cashew nuts soaked in water for 2 hours
- 200 grams medjool dates (soaked in water for 4-5 minutes)
- 4 tbsp cocoa
- nut milk just enough to make it blend nicely
- coconut flakes
- For the base, take about 200 grams of mixed nuts, seeds and fruits (such as walnuts, pecans, peanuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, dried figs, raisins, dates) and blend or mix at high speed until you get a sticky kind of dough.
- Press the base into your spring form. I used a heart-shaped spring form which allows you to lift the cake from the bottom up through a hole. If you don't have such a spring form I would advise lining your spring form with baking paper which you can pull out once the cake is finished.
- Leave your cashews to soak for at least 2 hours before blending them. Dates for 4-5 minutes. Once soaked, discard the water and dry superficially.
- First blend the cashew nuts in a high-speed blender or mixer until soft. Then start adding the dates and cocoa while blending. Add some nut milk during the process to make the blending (and the end result) smoother. Only stop once you have a thick but smooth and not too liquid cream.
- Pour over the base.
- Finish your cake off with putting coconut flakes and peanuts on the top in your desired pattern.
- Let everything stiffen up in the fridge over night or in the freezer for about 2 hours.